Friday, June 5, 2009

Need For Speed

The unofficial training season for Marine Corps has begun which means I start including hills, 800s, and mile repeats on a weekly rotation. This week marks the end of the first series and I have concluded that all hurt like hell and make a world of difference. Already, I feel so much stronger and faster - plus I have the results to back it up.

Thanks to my incredibly awesome GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 405) I have all the stats on my latest runs including average pace, elevation, calories, distance, max speed... the list goes on. Here is a link to my run on Tuesday, which was by far the fastest I've ever run this route. (**sidenote** Garmin Connect is the website that wirelessly collects the data from the GPS watch. The info and stats it collects is mind boggling to me and I just learned how to use it on Wednesday after having the watch since December. If you click on player at the top right you can actually watch how I ran this course). This is only one of a few runs where I've beaten my pr by a landslide. It's an awesome feeling. Plus, I really enjoy doing hills/speedwork. I had a coach who used to tell me before matches to love the hurt, to love the fight. It actually is beautiful in a way to struggle and then prevail. Think of all the sports movies in the world and the team or athlete always goes through that type of transformation.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day thank goodness since we've seen nothing but rain the past two days. I've got a 14 mile run on the Mount Vernon Trail and I'm excited to see what I can do in the next few months.

3 comments:

  1. I need to add hills and speed work on a consistent basis in the worst way. Maybe Tuesday on the way to fun run. But unlike you, I do not like to sprint. At all. Cross training on the bike is a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will like it when you see the payoff at the next run! The group meets on Wednesdays at 7 (which means no yoga) but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did make it to the six hills in Belle Haven on Monday night. Up and down each one, next time I'm going to do them twice each. Didn't get to see the payoff because I skipped fun run because the storms were still lingering around.

    Wednesday presents an interesting decision going forward. Yoga fundamentals has two more weeks, after that Thursday turns into a combo of sprints/fun runs/hills. I'll have a lot more figured out by July.

    ReplyDelete