Friday, May 22, 2009

Another weekend another race success!


Last weekend's adventure race was the most fun running experience I've had in a long time - and best of all Dave and I got to do it together! I know that sounds cheesy but when you finish something exciting and new it always makes it better to have someone else to compare stories and share favorite parts, and this guy was in my way, did you get lost? And oh my gosh the stairs were so awesome!

There was no chip for the race so they started in waves based on your estimated time of finishing. Dave and I were in the second wave (the way end of the second wave) which made for a very slow start. I had a hard time visualizing what exactly an off-road race would look like so I defaulted to sticking with the herd and tracking other people's footsteps. Early in the race we made a turn and ended up running on the side of the road which was disappointing at first but that did last long (later I would be wishing for some pavement). We went over a bridge overlooking downtown Richmond which was pretty cool, then ran through some packed earth for a while, and then came the stairs. These are no ordinary stairs. They are hands and legs stairs, meaning you are literally clawing at earth trying to get up this thing. Meanwhile, I've got a disposable camera in my hand trying to take pictures during the entire run.

The whole middle part of the run is kind of blurry for me. My main goal was not to fall. I'm kind of prissy when it comes to steep downhills and jumping over obstacles. I was literally coming to a stop when there was a big log or something in the way because I'm not comfortable with my jumping skills. Dave on the other hand, I learned, was flying over these things like they were nothing. To make up for lost time I was sprinting at every opportunity I had - which was pretty much any straightaway.

The trail running community is really different than road runners. They're not as cut-throat competitive and more encouraging and into the group effort. It seems like trail runners are more into it for the experience and not for the race PR (personal record). During the forest trail part of the race where only one person could fit at a time runners would yell back to see if they needed to pull over for someone to pass. Things like that don't usually happen in road races. I will fight someone for the cup of water and cut someone off to get ahead of them before a turn.

At the home stretch of the race this guy comes running up behind me yelling, "Hey girl! Hey girl don't let me catch you! Don't let me beat you!" We booked it to the finish screaming out of exhaustion (and I did beat him). It was an incredible race. Unfortunately my running/picture taking abilities aren't quite there yet so they don't do the experience justice. And although I probably didn't explain it much better, it's best to go out and see it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment