Thursday, May 14, 2009

Off to the races

Saturday morning Dave and I will be headed to Richmond for our first adventure race, the James River Scramble 10k. I don't know too much about the race except that there will be large rock jumping and steep stair climbing and narrow bridge crossing. Supposedly these races are very fun and very addictive so it will be interesting to see if this leads to larger adventure/trail races in the future.

After the race there will be a whole host of activities in the area such as Ultimate Air Dogs (which is some competition where dogs catch a frisbee of sorts as they jump off a deck into a pool. I'm a big fan of this picture by the way). There's also a professional mountain bike race and a pub crawl. This race and our overnight stay in Richmond is Dave's extended birthday present so it is pretty safe to say that beer will be involved in this trip.

As a follow-up to my previous post, the bike ride home to Maryland was awesome though it wasn't the epic bike adventure I imagined it to be (did I really think it was 40 miles to get home?) The ride was actually more like 20 miles but I was riding against the wind the entire time so I'll pretend my effort was the equivalent of a 40 mile ride. I came home to an empty house and had to climb in through the back window while the men working on our lawn curiously watched me break into my own house. After I devoured the contents in the fridge my mom, sister, and I got pedicures and went shopping. Then we proceeded to eat and drink the rest of the night. It was an awesome Mother's day.

So, back to the present - I'm really excited for this race especially since it's something I've never done before and there's no pressure of time goals or qualifying for anything. Dave and I will be equipped with digital or disposable cameras (I can't decide which would work better) so there will be lots of great pics to post next week. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment